AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Colosseum - Season 5 (Winner is Ultra Storm!)

Forum for AWBW Tournaments

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: The Colosseum - Season 5

Postby Walker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:13 pm

I'll be making a Colosseum Season 6 signup thread soon (when I finally write up the new format for next season), and I'll be sure to mark you both off. Thanks for playing!
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Abroxas » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:50 am

I'd like to be removed for the next season as well. I hope that I can make it for October, though.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Abroxas
Tank
Tank

Postby Ultra Storm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:31 am

http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=147225 I resigned in the game vs. excrimophalus. It was an enlightening game.

I was under the impression that pipe seams had the defence of md. tanks but they apparently have the defence of neotanks, so breaking the seam was delayed by a turn. Excri's stealth looked like a mistake at first and it looked like I was getting an upper hand, until my front collapsed to Winter Fury. It resembles my game vs. Sothis in which Winter Fury let me come back from a 19 vs. 24 property disadvantage against Max.

On the other hand, Kindle's D2D and powers weren't very helpful here. In general, Kindle seems to be a bit weaker than most COs in the high tier (Hawke, Sasha, Lash, Eagle) and it should be considered to move her to the mid tier. In particular, you'd usually rather need attack power when removing enemy units from properties rather than attacking from properties, which you rarely get to do. Urban Blight drains funds and delays captures but it's hard to crush an enemy front with it, compared to global mass damage or attack boosts that give OHKO possibilities.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby excrimophalus 1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:21 pm

Indeed, it was a very interesting game. I made a big gamble when I decided to build the stealth. Day 12 was going to be my last chance to build a stealth and take advantage of the fact that you had no airport to counter. If I didn't build one on day 12 you most certainly would have captured the northern airport and maybe some of the nearby cities. Unfortunately I had to join many units to have the funds for the stealth, significantly weakening my fronts, especially the one by my hq. I was pretty unstable for the next few days, and just as I was re-establishing myself, you unexpectedly used your cop, a good move as my lines were broken again.

After your attack on day 15, I thought it may be over for me, but then the effectiveness of winter fury was displayed. Not only did it allow me to have a hard counter on day 16, but a follow up attack on day 17 because of the snow. I think that is really where I took a clear advantage, as my lines were pretty well established, making an attack pretty difficult, and meanwhile I could just let my stealth go to work. You managed to keep it remarkably close for the next few days, considering that my stealth could do whatever it wanted. Your cop on day 23 surprised me. I was steadily loading up scop as your bar was already full, so clearing some space for more charge was understandable. However, the cop did very little damage, and possibly a scop could have worked better. Although at that point, I don't know if there were any good options.

Looking back, the game may possibly have been decided very early on. You allowed me to skip the capturing of the city 2 north and 1 west of my comm tower and go for the airport. Maybe sending a tank/inf up north earlier could have prevented that. Although if you sent a tank, I guess your southwestern infs would have been unprotected from my tank.

Kindle probably will lose to most of the other high tier cos. And on maps like hypnotize, her scop is not very strong, with only 13 cities. It will be interesting to see how she fairs in our other game, as atrocious has a lot more cities.
The below statement is true.v

^ The above statement is false.
excrimophalus 1
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby excrimophalus 1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:57 pm

http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=150531 Ultra Storm gets revenge on Excrimophalus. Well played.

I think the biggest thing I took away from these two games was the ineffectiveness of Kindle. I had a suspicion that she was a paper tiger, and that's why I picked Olaf over her in our first game. In our second game, on atrocious, I thought that with ~21 cities per side, that would be enough to make Kindle's scop a serious threat; as we saw, not really. I think in both of our games, the player using Kindle took a significant initial advantage, but lacked the punch to put Olaf away. Then all it took was one of his scops to more or less put the game away. Against high level players, her cop can be almost completely foiled, and her scop is quite weak for 6 stars.

excrimophalus 1
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Re: The Colosseum - Season 5 (Winner is Ultra Storm!)

Postby ichbinsehselber » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 am

Gratulations to Ultra Storm!
ichbinsehselber
Tank
Tank

Postby Ultra Storm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 am

excrimophalus 1 wrote:http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=150531 Ultra Storm gets revenge on Excrimophalus. Well played.

I think the biggest thing I took away from these two games was the ineffectiveness of Kindle. I had a suspicion that she was a paper tiger, and that's why I picked Olaf over her in our first game. In our second game, on atrocious, I thought that with ~21 cities per side, that would be enough to make Kindle's scop a serious threat; as we saw, not really. I think in both of our games, the player using Kindle took a significant initial advantage, but lacked the punch to put Olaf away. Then all it took was one of his scops to more or less put the game away. Against high level players, her cop can be almost completely foiled, and her scop is quite weak for 6 stars.
That was a good and insightful game. It indeed looks like Kindle lacks the firepower to break the enemy lines while Olaf is not a CO to laugh at. Do not invade Blue Moon; the winter is cold.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Postby excrimophalus 1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 pm

http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=150705
Excrimophalus beats Fdkanns. And with that division 1 is over.

It was an interesting game. On day 12, getting out funded 21 to 17 and without a tower, things weren't looking great, but I had managed to keep up with you in units category. From that point on I think the superiority of hawke's powers took over. Also, his cop is quite dangerous, not just his scop. My cop on day 15 seemed to be where the game really got put out of reach.

excrimophalus 1
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby fdkanns » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:13 am

Your endgame skill is just a lot better than mine and you were able to use your COP/SCOP way better than me.
Well deserved win and thanks for playing quite fast during midgame.
gg
fdkanns
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Kamuscha » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:06 am

The game between me vs black mont blanc is over. Thank you for your patience.

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

Postby Abroxas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:04 am

Watching this from day 27 i want to make one of these comics where you skip the pages rapidly and it looks like animation.

Also: Saved for great justice.

EDIT: Crap, saving doesn't work.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Abroxas
Tank
Tank

Postby Black Mont-Blanc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:41 am

My opponent always stronger than me.
Lash is useful to counter attack,
However, I never success to middle neutral City before days limit.
Andy, Hawke, and Lash... I thought to choice 3 COs.
I should use Andy...
Black Mont-Blanc
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Previous

Return to AWBW Tournaments