AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

CO Charles

Talk about custom COs, units, classes, weapons or anything else.

Moderator: Forum Mods

CO Charles

Postby penguinruler » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Not sure if this idea has already been used or not. Suggestions/criticisms are welcome and appreciated.

CO Charles

Description: Charles is a quiet CO, preferring to spend his time alone reading books or surfing the web than socializing with the other COs. He is a newer CO, and is still learning how to become a better CO. Charles is very eager to learn, and can pick things up fast and apply them. He is also very intelligent and often tries to create his own inventions. He is known for startling people by suddenly yelling "I've got it!" and running out of the room. He isn't very self-confident, but is a like-able person.

D2D: Due to his lack of experience, all his units start off at 90/100. But he quickly learns how to use units effectively. Every 10 units you build that are the same kind gain +10/0. So his infantry start off at 90/100, but after you build 10 infantry, all infantry on the field immediately become 100/100. 10 infantry later, 110/100. Future units you build also get this buff.

xxxXXXXX

COP: Sudden Realization
Charles realizes a more effective way to use a certain unit. The first kind of unit you build gives +10/0 to all of the same kind of unit. For example, if you build an infantry then all infantry gain +10/0, and all future infantry also get this bonus. If that infantry was your 10th infantry, now all your infantry are 110/100, and so are your future infantry. The next unit you build this turn does not give the +10/0 bonus.

SCOP: Flash of insight
Charles gets creative new ideas. All units that are still 90/100 become 100/100. The first unit you build gives +10/0 to all of the same kind of unit. The second unit you build does the same. These changes last the whole game.

Personally I think he is pretty balanced. Obviously he shines late game. And his infantry are going to get pretty beefy. Thoughts?
penguinruler
Infantry
Infantry

Re: CO Charles

Postby Mr--Clean » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Far more balanced than most other co ideas around here. His infantry would very quickly get up to 120 if he uses his scop on them and then possibly another 10 after that as well. Aside from that though I think he would actually be placed high low tier or maybe lower mid tier because his cop/scop doesnt give him any hard hitting day advantage and most games dont last past day 20 so he wouldnt have the time to make his units buffed up enough to make a difference.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby CO Raven » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:37 pm

I think he's fairly strong. The slight weakness won't hurt him that much early on since the infantry will reach even before any heavy combat happens. However, his first scop will likely look like 130 or 140/110 for the day, bringing them from 100 or 110/100 to 130/100 d2d. When his scop goes off, he'll start to look like AW1 Max. Probably reaching 140 not too long after. Tank spammage does that.
CO Raven
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Xaif » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:27 am

Incredibly imbalanced. On large maps he becomes overpowered, while on small maps he's near useless.

Does the the D2D make the boost permanent? Or if you dropped back down to nine infantry on the field would the stats go back to 90/100? If the former's the case then - wow, he's pretty powerful on large maps.

When you've used your SCOP once there is no need to use it ever again because all it will do is give two permanent boosts for 8 stars, where as your COP used twice does the same thing along with two days of +10/10 instead of just one.

In reality after one SCOP use this guy is going to have 110/100 infantry and 100/100 everything else on your standard map - with two extra units having +10/0. Again, on your standard map you'll see about two phases of SCOP before a winner can generally be decided, so this guy will end up as 100/100 overall, with four units having an extra 10 offense (one SCOP, two COP uses), and a couple like tanks and infantry having +10 too, yet he's never had any major boost evident from his power like other COs do. For this reason I'd say that on smaller maps he's really going to struggle as he's going to be worse than bland for the best part of the game, then hover just above that level for the rest.

Larger maps are a different story because you build far more units meaning you can reach your tenth and twentieth iterations quite easily, likely even thirtieth where tanks and infantry are concerned - and this in turn means more COP uses so your abilities snowball pretty quickly. On the flip side it does depend on the map too because if more units are involved (say a navy) then your D2D isn't going to be as prevalent due to the increased types of unit on the field.

While the concept is interesting, I think balance wise permanent boosts simply do not work, they either take too long to become useful, or you end up overpowering the enemy too quickly. Plus, it's quite complicated - how are you easily going to keep track of what boosts you have effective, and by that extension how are your enemies?

I like the idea, what I'd suggest is going with your theme where what you build gives you boosts. Say, for a D2D all units are 100/100, but the first unit you build on a given day gives a blanket +10/0 to units of the same type. Then boost this effect in the (S)COP, and extend it to all units built etc. It can be far more easily controlled then and make him relevant on all maps.
Xaif
Artillery
Artillery

Postby penguinruler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I like the mixed feedback. The attack boost is permanent. It looks like I need to change his SCOP. I might make it more powerful, or quicker to get if I can figure out how to edit my posts. XD

He's definitely shrimpy on small maps, mediocre on medium, and ballin' on big maps. He could be just a map-dependent CO as is, but I like Xaif's idea of adjusting him so he caters to all maps. Personally I think it would be pretty easy to memorize which units have an attack buff, and it makes you opponent think about which units of yours are more dangerous. I wanted to create a fun mid tier CO, but looks like I fell a bit short. I'll work on making him clearer/better/simpler.
penguinruler
Infantry
Infantry

Postby CO Raven » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Certainly not mid tier. On most league maps, I'd place him high tier.
CO Raven
Anti-Air
Anti-Air

Postby Xaif » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 am

penguinruler wrote:I like the mixed feedback. The attack boost is permanent. It looks like I need to change his SCOP. I might make it more powerful, or quicker to get if I can figure out how to edit my posts. XD

There's an edit button in the top right corner of every post you make.

He's definitely shrimpy on small maps, mediocre on medium, and ballin' on big maps. He could be just a map-dependent CO as is, but I like Xaif's idea of adjusting him so he caters to all maps. Personally I think it would be pretty easy to memorize which units have an attack buff, and it makes you opponent think about which units of yours are more dangerous. I wanted to create a fun mid tier CO, but looks like I fell a bit short. I'll work on making him clearer/better/simpler.

It's not only keeping track of which units have the boosts, it's also about knowing how many of each unit you've built. While from an enemy's standpoint you may see this as making the opponent think more, I see it as needless extra info to keep track of. Ultimately there is no simple way of displaying on screen which units have which magnitude of boost and how many of each have been built - so a dedicated info screen would be needed.

The best piece of advice I can offer when designing a CO is to keep it simple. If you cannot describe each of your CO's abilities in less then 3 short bullet points, then it is too complicated. No long winded examples should be needed. Take any CO from the game itself: http://awbw.wikia.com/wiki/CO and you'll see that their abilities can be explained in less than 3 short points.
Xaif
Artillery
Artillery

Postby penguinruler » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:57 pm

There's an edit button in the top right corner of every post you make.

Either I am blind... or I'm looking in the wrong area? Anyway thanks for the advice. When I figure out how to edit it, I might make some changes. My next CO will be more concise.
penguinruler
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Mr--Clean » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:04 am

User control panel --> Board preferences --> My board style

AWBW is the default one. While in some ways its kind of cool but its also glitched since there is no edit button along with another minor thing or too. I would recommend switching it to prosilver since its the original and still advance wars-y

(though all that said I might be wrong so you might want someone else to double check that :P)
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby Walker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:23 am

Man, I explained to him how to fix the problem like 6 hours ago. Good try, but I beat you again! :)
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mr--Clean » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:28 am

Good literature isn't a race walker.
Mr--Clean
Artillery
Artillery

Postby penguinruler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:04 pm

But it doesn't hurt to be a winner.