AW/FE by Web

AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Okay, so we're looking for new League maps.

Discussion about AWBW Leagues goes here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Postby psycho guy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:27 pm

blanci1 wrote:he may bite your fingers :lol:
been there done that
Image
User avatar
psycho guy
CO
CO
 
Posts: 2586
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:23 pm

Postby EchelonThree » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:58 pm

psycho guy wrote:
blanci1 wrote:he may bite your fingers :lol:
been there done that


Lesser of two evils....
Kamuscha wrote:
nerd-boy wrote:Damn straight.
how is it straight if its been derailed? xD


Zovea on Rocket Armor
Zovea wrote:rocket armor isnt that much stronger than art armor anyways
User avatar
EchelonThree
Rocket
Rocket
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:29 am
Location: Singapore

Postby blanci1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:23 pm

.... Park Walk
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=39443
or churning seas
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=33131

any comments ? or opinions ? (i guess nerd needs maps still?)
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 am
Location: spain

Postby Tyrael » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Park walk: I like the idea, but the map looks ew.
Churning Seas: I like this one. It's linear, but airports behind the enemy front is pretty cool. I'm concerned that you can lock down the only enemy airport with a missle that's safe from any enemy land units though.
Ultra Storm wrote:Winking is futile.
User avatar
Tyrael
Fighter
Fighter
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Computer

Postby psycho guy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:44 pm

churning seas is great
Image
User avatar
psycho guy
CO
CO
 
Posts: 2586
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:23 pm

Postby benbever » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:42 pm

nerd-boy wrote:Please bear in mind that none of these maps can be made by you. If you self-plug your own map, I will invalidate your entire list.

That means no Park Walk.

Churning Seas looks good. The seaports avoid stalemate in the otherwise boring centre.
benbever
CO
CO
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: NL

Postby benbever » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:02 pm

out until fixed:
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=32735
Build your own battle; it has large FTA with lash and grimm, and general balance issues because of loose artillery. It doesn't belong in FOW league. Could be in another league after being fixed.

in:
Churning seas.
Not in the fow league. Any other league would be fine.
benbever
CO
CO
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: NL

Postby Felix45 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:54 pm

I dont like churning seas to be honest. I dont feel there is enough to be contested in the middle, and the cities that are up for grabs are very far apart with a base right behind them, so taking them will be extremely hard. I think the map screams stalemate.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
User avatar
Felix45
CO
CO
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:23 pm
Location: AW:DoR - 021599 158374

Postby EchelonThree » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:12 pm

benbever wrote:
nerd-boy wrote:Please bear in mind that none of these maps can be made by you. If you self-plug your own map, I will invalidate your entire list.

That means no Park Walk.

Churning Seas looks good. The seaports avoid stalemate in the otherwise boring centre.


Churning seas is deja vu... don't we already have a lot of maps like this?
Kamuscha wrote:
nerd-boy wrote:Damn straight.
how is it straight if its been derailed? xD


Zovea on Rocket Armor
Zovea wrote:rocket armor isnt that much stronger than art armor anyways
User avatar
EchelonThree
Rocket
Rocket
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:29 am
Location: Singapore

Postby Tyrael » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:31 pm

benbever wrote:out until fixed:
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=32735
Build your own battle; it has large FTA with lash and grimm, and general balance issues because of loose artillery. It doesn't belong in FOW league. Could be in another league after being fixed.


I want to make the pipeseams into just pipes to prevent the arties from roaming around, but it's in league so there's always a game on it. :(
Ultra Storm wrote:Winking is futile.
User avatar
Tyrael
Fighter
Fighter
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Computer

Postby blanci1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:22 am

Felix45 wrote:I dont like churning seas to be honest. I dont feel there is enough to be contested in the middle, and the cities that are up for grabs are very far apart with a base right behind them, so taking them will be extremely hard. I think the map screams stalemate.


felix do you see this as stalemate in fog too ?
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=33131

i see this map as best in fog ... i think there are resources and plenty of surprises possible in fog ... i recall even as a newb here i managed to overcome the mapdesigner who used broken colin in fog .... its easy to go astray if your not careful.

So its deja vu ... so what ? its got some small but very important details which surely make it different from similar maps. Why dont people give examples to similar map in league instead of wishy washy speculations?

OK there may be lockdown... well great to have a map where we might seriously think about buying misiles ...thats different so why not give it a try. If i redo and correct the map i wont be able to recomend it and it will be lost forever.
I supose the map could do with more tests ... but if you apply that principle you are setting up a closed shop ... i mean what reliable players are gonna play on it unless it gets in a league? noob games are never gonna count as tests.
No ones arguing about fairness so why not just give the map a chance in a league? nerd is asking for maps ...

i really think we need a kind of "quarantine" league where we can have lots of maps which are recommended by users with the only requirements being that

(1) the map is not "obviously" unfair nor "obviously" drawn
(2) some people other than the creator recomend it
(3) it has some kind of originality or difference from current league maps
(4) its at least been made with a certain amount of artistic care

in fact why not say each quarantine league player can recommend one such map for the league. I think such ideas will bring in, keep and nurture new players.

I think thers a lot of top players who might be saying they dont want maps especially in fog because it might be hard for them to use their particular abilities to keep the battle under the kind of control that they are accustomed to.
Hence awbw runs a risk of becoming stuffy if risky ideas are perpetually dismissed and require massive consent. Its like the political veto, theres always gonna be one or two top players that wont like some aspect of a map or other new idea made by or suggested by an outsider, and thats basically the kiss of death. For a suposedly modern gaming site this place is far too conservative imo.
Doesnt anyone know about the difficulties faced in the past by revolutionary ideas in science such as continental drift and evolution, relativity and so forth? This place seems to me like the spanish inquisition.
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 am
Location: spain

Postby Tyrael » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:56 pm

Or maybe because FoW is stalematey and annoying and not fun. :P

Again, you're overlooking the very simple fact that the new players can play all the games they want on whatever the hell maps they want. We don't ban players that play on non-league non-ranked maps. While we may not support certain types of maps, others don't support the types we like. It's opinion, and we are expressing ours. Not liking something doesn't mean we're evil or narrow-minded, it just means we have different tastes.

If there's such a huge demand for this "unique maps league" of yours, why doesn't anyone organize a rally for / set up their own unofficial league? Why don't you do it yourself instead of complaining how other people have other opinions?
Ultra Storm wrote:Winking is futile.
User avatar
Tyrael
Fighter
Fighter
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Computer

Postby benbever » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:52 pm

I dont like churning seas to be honest. I dont feel there is enough to be contested in the middle, and the cities that are up for grabs are very far apart with a base right behind them, so taking them will be extremely hard. I think the map screams stalemate.

I don't think so. Your seaport covers the enemy base. I doubt it'll stalemate. fcourse it needs playtesting.
benbever
CO
CO
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: NL

Postby blanci1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Tyrael thats a good idea actually ..though until the hols i wont get time to figure it out and set it up . And I also worry that not many people come to play in the forum .. it would be much more convenient in a league especially for newbs who i believe are very hesitant about the forum :shock: ... i know i was. Anyway youre right i need to get more support .... as i wouldnt particularly enjoy playing with myself
blanci1
Artillery
Artillery
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 am
Location: spain

Postby Felix45 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:09 pm

benbever wrote:I don't think so. Your seaport covers the enemy base. I doubt it'll stalemate. fcourse it needs playtesting.


hmm I didn't take notice of this. well if the best strategy is to build a bship to cover the enemy base that does make it interesting, but wont that lead to FTA? both sides seem like they should be able to cover the base in the same amount of time and without contest meaning that P1 will get 1 extra turn to build from their extra base without being attacked by a bship (because OS gets its funds before BM).

even under new light it seems there is another problem. plus with the bships that are to be made there is no way for them to be of use past the oceans they are in, meaning they will mostly be defensive making the games have a higher chance to drag on much longer.

I still dont think it should be added


@blanci - "I think thers a lot of top players who might be saying they dont want maps especially in fog because it might be hard for them to use their particular abilities to keep the battle under the kind of control that they are accustomed to."
turns out you thought wrong. For me and many others, AW is a completely different game in fog. I dont like playing in FoW because it is luck based and with the woods system it is extremely hard to make offensives and is much easier to just set up artillery and play defense. I also think FoW takes much less skill to play in because of all of these things which is why I dont like to play in it. I respect those who like to play in FoW but to criticize me and others for not liking it is a step too far. I dont like FoW and with good reason and if you can't respect that then I can't respect your opinion. I most definitely am not opposed to FoW because of this silly reason that I am not accustomed to it, I have played plenty of FoW games over the course of many years and came to the decision based on experience that for me AW isn't as skilled or as fun with FoW as it is without FoW.

"Hence awbw runs a risk of becoming stuffy if risky ideas are perpetually dismissed and require massive consent. Its like the political veto, theres always gonna be one or two top players that wont like some aspect of a map or other new idea made by or suggested by an outsider, and thats basically the kiss of death. For a suposedly modern gaming site this place is far too conservative imo.
Doesnt anyone know about the difficulties faced in the past by revolutionary ideas in science such as continental drift and evolution, relativity and so forth? This place seems to me like the spanish inquisition."
You are completely wrong on the first part. No one here dismisses ideas just because they dont like one aspect of a map. they dismiss maps because they either are very likely to stalemate or have major balance issues. Now to be honest I dont like all air or all sea maps, and so I wouldn't like to play on them, but I wouldn't criticize an all sea map for being a bad map unless it had one of the 2 issues stated earlier.
No one ever "supposed" that this gaming site is modern. where did you here this from? this is just a silly and stupid side comment that serves no purpose.
Yes, I am aware of all of these things. I am also aware that your argument in now way can draw any similarities. in what way does the fact that contents drift because of plate tectonics relate to your silly and subjective idea of how AW should be played relate? please explain. I would like to see this explanation.


Edit:
I would like for stone bridge to be removed
I dont think it is a very good map.
this is the only game I have ever played on it http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=95180
and I can already tell that even though I have kept the advantage in my favor all game that with very few properties up for contest and 5 bases this game will take a LONG time. I dont want to take my turn on it either just because I have to move so many units and I know it is going to take a long time. I would hate to set draw when I have the advantage but there are just so many units and it will take so long to gain a substantial advantage and hold that advantage that playing on the map just isn't fun.


if the reason it is in is because people like larger maps, I would much prefer maps like toilet flush over this one. but yeah this is not a fun map at all to play on and with the large amount of maps available I would much prefer some other map be in the leagues.
[23:09] <Gabo> hey guys, i have a question
[23:09] <Gabo> is it possible to transfer games from one account toanother on steam?
[23:09] <felix45> fire away lotion master
[23:10] <felix45> ROFL
[23:10] <Gabo> =_=
[23:10] <felix45> sorry I cant let that go :P
[23:10] <felix45> oh and I dont think so gabo
[23:10] <Gabo> the worst part is that i do like lotions <_<
User avatar
Felix45
CO
CO
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:23 pm
Location: AW:DoR - 021599 158374

PreviousNext

Return to AWBW Leagues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group