AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Island of Glory

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Island of Glory

Postby Ultra Storm » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:09 am

http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=54828 As my first new map in a while, here is Island of Glory. It has the structure of two intersecting rings, with up to 8 ground fronts with air support and the possibility for sea units.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Re: Island of Glory

Postby Walker » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:31 am

It looks very nice I think. The reefs were a bit much at first, but after a while you get used to them, and they look pretty nice too. Even one more airport per side probably wouldn't hurt since there's so many different fronts and the funding is so high. Of course, you don't want to encourage stealth spamming either.

Also, you might want to think about adding a second tower too, especially if the map ends up being a bit stalematish. Stalemates might be unlikely simply because there's so many different fronts and it would be hard to stale all of them, but there also aren't really any contested cities to fight over.

My main suggestion would be to consider changing the symmetry of the properties. Instead of making all 4 quadrants identical, just have it so 2 quadrants are identical. There are several ways to do it, but it would allow you to shift city positions a bit to make a few of them more contested. It would also create a little more variety, so that the moves and formations don't look exactly the same for both countries on both sides of the map.

But as I said, I like the map, and it is very well-balanced and should be quite playable. I'd be curious to see how much naval units are actually used.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Re: Island of Glory

Postby Ultra Storm » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:43 am

I'm not sure if you need highly contested cities because the map won't stalemate with heavy air support. Having central cities could make the fronts too fragile, considering how the high funds and excellent availability of air units don't favor arties. Having up to 8 fronts also makes it hard to shield your indirects.

There probably won't be many sea units with airports in good positions, but a few landers and bships could be worth it in later parts of the game. Even so, I wanted to add seaports on various fronts in case someone wants to use them.
Your notion of ”right” is what was imprinted in you since you were young.
Ultra Storm
CO
CO

Return to Design Maps