AWBW/FEBW Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Map Comments and Edits Thread

Critique and discuss the design maps on AWBW

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: Map Comments and Edits Thread

Postby wesai » Sat May 05, 2012 10:41 am

Ops, I posted the first one wrongly, here it is. Can we edit our posts? Sorry for double-posting. :p
wesai
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Walker » Sat May 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi, welcome. :)

Yes, you can edit your posts. There's an option in the upper corner of your post that you can hit.

To post the thumbnail of the map use this:
Code: Select all
[map=57958]Enduring Battlefield v1.1[/map]

That will make this:

Enduring Battlefield v1.1

Here's some tips to improve your map:

1) Always have at least 2 preowned bases for each team. If there's only one base, then you have major balance problems because the first person to build has a huge advantage. They can build first, deploy units first, capture properties first, etc. So add a 2nd preowned base for each country.

2) Once you have 2 bases, you need an FTA (FTA = first turn advantage) counter. The way to balance FTA is by adding one predeployed infantry on one of Player 2's bases. So in this case, add an infantry to one of Blue Moon's (BM) bases.

3) You shouldn't have any predeployed cities. Predeployed cities provide a similar advantage to uncountered FTA on bases, except in terms of funding instead of units. The best way to have a balanced map is to make all properties neutral except for bases and HQs.

4) Don't clump all the properties together. Having all the properties stuck together in big groups in the center a) is aesthetically unpleasant, b) makes for uninteresting gameplay, and c) again causes balance problems.

5) Don't put neutral bases in central positions, or in places where their capture can be disrupted. In your map, I'd suggest not having any neutral bases, since 2 preowned bases per side is more than enough for a map of this size. But in general, you want to make sure each team can safely capture their neutral base -- watch out for day 2 recons that might be able to disrupt base capture.

6) Reduce the number of chokepoints. Your map actually isn't that bad with this, because most of the fighting will probably take place in the more open spaces around the neutral bases, but it's still pretty choky. If one side gets an advantage, it's really easy to just place a unit on a bridge and line the other side with arties, making it impossible to advance. This will cause stalemates, which no one wants.

I guess that's about it in terms of basics to improve on. If I were you, I wouldn't bother too much with fixing up the 1v1 map. Instead, I would just start over on a different map. I suggest looking at some of the maps in the S-Rank, A-Rank, or League Map categories, and simulating some of the features you find on maps there.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby wesai » Sat May 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback! That was very appreciated! <3

Yes, I'm gonna start to work on a new map, I was reading a few guides too awhile ago. I'll try to keep my mind as open as possible to feedback and improve my mapping skills. :)
wesai
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Mori » Sat May 05, 2012 3:21 pm

wesai wrote:I was reading a few guides too awhile ago. I'll try to keep my mind as open as possible to feedback and improve my mapping skills. :)

That's really all we ask.

Also, more 4 tower experiments. Javier should still be viable even if the second tower comes a bit later.
Traction
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby wesai » Sun May 06, 2012 8:55 am

Here's another try:

Degenerating Province

I'm still trying to keep my map designs simple, I have yet a lot to learn. And all the experience will come with hours and hours of game-play experience. ;p

I gonna play campaign again, it's been years I haven't played AW. Then jump to the multiplayer fun! :wink:

And yeah, as you all have noticed by now, I like creating and sharing stuff, so this website is very handy when it comes to Advance Wars! Interesting community. :>
wesai
Infantry
Infantry

Postby Walker » Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 am

I left a comment for you on the map. Great job with it! There's a huge improvement between your 1st and 2nd maps -- almost like they were made by two different people. :)
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mori » Sat May 12, 2012 12:32 pm

Glad to see we have more new mappers.

In other news, here's another mori account. Nothing good in there yet, but I'll probably come up with some good ones by the end of this account like I usually do. So far, focusing on using more plains I guess maybe.

Tsubaki

Hotaru

CAFO
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby Mori » Tue May 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Thought this was a funny idea while I was map spamming today. If it turns out well, I could always make more.

Thing What Kicks
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Wed May 23, 2012 1:54 am

It definitely has a different visual style from a lot of your maps, and the influence of Nightmare's Echo is apparent. But I think I'm missing the funny idea of the map (unless you mean those 2 things I just said haha).
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mori » Wed May 23, 2012 5:04 am

I just thought it would be funny if I just went through a Nightmares Echo in My Head phase instead of an Atlas phase.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Wed May 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Ah okay. I know you already made a couple Nightmares Echo-inspired maps before, though you've done that for several of the highly ranked maps.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mori » Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Lunatic

Like I said, my my maps are slowing down, but I think they're improving.
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby Walker » Sat May 26, 2012 4:44 pm

walkerboh01 (05/26/2012 01:27pm):
This map is brilliant.
Walker
Map Committee
Map Committee

Postby Mori » Mon May 28, 2012 2:15 am

More in the same style or something.

Aronia

What Brave Cowards
Mori
Tank
Tank

Postby Kamuscha » Mon May 28, 2012 6:31 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I still love you! Tonight, your true love will realize they truly miss you. You will get a shock of a lifetime tomorrow. If you break the chain, you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. Karma's a bitch, I know. If there is someone you love, and can't get them out of your mind, repost this paragraph as "I still Love you"
Kamuscha
CO
CO

PreviousNext

Return to Design Maps